Saturday, March 12, 2011

Motherly Devotion

I received a message from Facebook that said my son had claimed me as his mother.  It instructed me to aver that claim.  I didn’t immediately respond.  I wondered if it was some kind of scam.  I would affirm my motherhood, and suddenly I would be strapped with 17 unknown screaming children for whom I would be responsible for the rest of their young lives.  Or I would have to pay for some child’s debt or ransom or bail.  This is the kind of question only Facebook would ask.  My son knows who his mother is.  I’m sure he doesn’t need the confirmation; and yet, Facebook didn’t consider it enough that he might claim me as having borne him.  I replied affirmatively. 

Oh the lengths to which we will go to demonstrate devotion to our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment